Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Name

I found a great teaching on YHWH`s name, it is long but very good. The link to the complete teaching is below.
According to Yahweh, his name is to be declared, not banned, nor outlawed or hidden. The Rabbinical precept that the Name should be “hidden” and “kept secret,” as taught by Talmudic tradition (cf. Pesach 50a; Kiddushin 71a) is braced against the Torah precept that the Name should be “proclaimed through all the earth.”

The Great Assembly and, later the Sanhedrin, produced a tradition of reading euphemisms in place of the name Yahweh when reading the Bible. The text was even altered in places. For example, the four-letter name YHWH was changed in the Hebrew Masoretic text to Adonai 134 times. These deliberate alterations of the biblical text were recorded in the Masorah (cf. 107:15, C. D. Gingsburg edition).

The Great Assembly, and later, the Sanhedrin assumed unlawful authority over the Bible—that is, they put in place an injunction against Yahweh’s own word. In advance, Moses, who received the Torah, warned Israel about adding and taking away from the Torah:

“You shall not add to the word which I am commanding you,
nor take away from it, that you may keep the commandments
of Yahweh your God which I command you.”
(Deuteronomy 4:2)

“Whatever I command you, you shall be careful to do. You shall
not add to nor take away from it [the Torah].
(Deuteronomy 12:32)

What did the Prophets teach about speaking the Name of God? Isaiah proclaimed the words of Yahweh: “My people shall know my name” (Isaiah 52:6). No euphemism was implied, no substitute name desired by Him. He not only seeks to dwell among his people so that they may be his people and He their God, but He desires his people to know Him by his name.

The prophet Jeremiah, likewise, declared the word of Yahweh to Israel: “Therefore behold, I am going to make them know—this time I will make them know my power and my might. And they shall know that my name is Yahweh” (Jeremiah 16:21).

Jeremiah, further, prophesied the day that the people of Israel would be under powerful influence and illusion to forget the name Yahweh. In Jeremiah 23:21-27, Yahweh speaks about this turn of events:

I did not send [these] prophets, but they ran. I did
not speak to them, but they prophesied. But if they had stood
in my council, then they would have announced my words to
my people, and would have turned them back from their evil
way and from the evil of their deeds … Is there [anything]
in the hearts of the prophets who prophesy falsehood, even
[these] prophets of the deception of their own heart
who intend to make my people forget my name …?

Zephaniah anticipated a future day where the name of Yahweh would be called upon by the people of God because of the words Yahweh spoke to him: “For then I will give to the peoples purified lips that all of them may call on the name of Yahweh” (Zephaniah 3:9).

http://www.ed-nelson.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=64&mode=&order=0&thold=0"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home